For my birthday, I got a 5.5HP 4-Stroke Engine from eBay worth $119.00 AUD + $20.95 postage. It starts easy (First pull!), runs great, has lots of power and is very fuel efficient! I plan on putting my turbocharged engine on a Go-Kart. Here are the technical specs from the book:
Type: Single-Cylinder, Four Stoke, Cylinder Inclined 25°
Bore*Stoke (mm): 68*45
Displacement (ml): 163
Ignition System: TCI (Transistorized Pointless)
Starting Method: Recoil Starter
Max. Output/speed (HP/RPM): 5.5/4000
Max. Torque (N.M/RPM): 10.8/2500
Net Weight (kg): 14
Engine Oil Capacity: 0.60L
For Christmas, I got a VZ21 Turbocharger, Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 Synthetic Oil, Grommet Oil Cooler/Transmission Hose – 3/8″ (1 Metre), Grommet Oil Cooler/Transmission Hose – 5/16″ (1 Metre) and an Oil-Extractor Pump.
This is the cylinder side of the engine with the muffler system removed.
This is the muffler system I removed from the engine.
In this picture, you can see the whole engine. On the bottom right is the oil pipe and fitting where the dip-stick used to go. I will tell you more about this in the next photo.
After dad searching around for a fitting that would screw into the dip-stick plug, he found an air compressor fittings packet. In there was a perfect fitting, it had a barb on one end (Which the oil hose is over) and on the other end it had a thread which screwed in as easy as the dip-stick! As you can see in the picture, I used the O-Ring from the dip-stick to create a seal.
Here is a picture is the VZ21 Turbocharger I purchased from eBay for $259.99 USD + $55.00 postage to Australia. I rotated the centre bit of the turbocharger so the oil feed port was on the top and the water-cooling ports were easily accessible (On the other side).
I found a little bolt in the shed with the same thread as the one on the turbocharger (Which was very lucky, but I find everything to fit stuff in the shed!), so I got dad to chop the head off with an angle-grinder and then we drilled a hole straight through the centre using some cutting compound and a cordless drill. I then got the nut to go with it (Again, found in the shed) and screwed the bolt in about 1cm, then I put some Ultra Copper High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket maker under the nut and around the bolt, finger tightened the bolt down until the silicone came out, waited for an hour, then screwed the nut in completely.
With that done, I tried running some oil through the turbocharger using my oil extractor pump. This didn’t turn out too well, especially since the pump said “Oil Extractor” and was a vane pump, so the pump come to a stop and started smoking a little from too much pressure build up. It still works perfectly fine. So I had some ideas. I tried pushing oil through the return port, then in turn it comes out the oil feed port; that didn’t work. So then I tried my third idea, pulling oil through the oil feed port. This again didn’t work because it wasn’t getting enough oil through the small hole because the pump didn’t have enough suction. I moved on to my last idea, which was pulling oil through the return port. This kind of worked, but not enough oil came through – but at least a little oil was going through the turbocharger! This still wasn’t enough oil flow, so I decided that all of my ideas would fail with that pump.
Later on, I purchased a flange kit from eBay for $41.99 USD + $16.00 postage to Australia. Each of the 7 flanges are precision high-temp laser cut mild-steel. They look really good! It is a full complete set containing 7 pieces for each port on the turbocharger: Compressor Inlet, Compressor Outlet, Oil Return, Water-Cooling, Exhaust Inlet, Exhaust Outlet which covers the waste-gate and another Exhaust Outlet which doesn’t cover the waste-gate. I also purchased a scavenge oil gear pump worth $89.95 USD + $32.25 postage. I worked out an offer for the item and instead purchased it for $50.00 USD + $27.00 postage.
I got the oil pump, put a hose from the engine sump plug and clamped it onto the oil pump inlet. I then ran a hose from the oil pump outlet to the turbo oil feed. The pump worked well, but since it is used for scavenging, it got quite hot, so I decided to turn it off. A couple of months later, I decided to work on the engine again. I went to BJ Bearings and purchased a 1/4″ tee fitting with a 1/4″ needle valve on the head of the tee, and from the needle valve outlet to the oil return back to the engine; thus controlling the oil pressure. It looked like this:
Here is a gallery of the Engine:
Here is a gallery of the Turbocharger:
Here is a gallery of the Flanges:
Here is a gallery showing the progress I have made with the engine:
I hope you enjoyed reading this post! Please rate this article and leave a comment! Thanks!